How do I start about this big budget movie, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets?
Mmm.. Let me summarize what I feel after I watch this movie below:
- Visual Effect is STUNNING! Everything seems so real and my eyes are so happy to see the effects. And this is the main reason why Valerian cost a lot!
- Story? Personally, I think this one a bit flat. Not much of funny punch line and drama etc. Everything is flat.
- Am I the only who feel that Mr. Dehaan look like Mr. DiCaprion when he was in Romeo + Juliet in 1996? And I do feel the connection between Dehaan and Delevingne so similar with DiCaprio and Danes back then. So deja vu.
- Mr. Besson masterpiece? Nope. I feel Lucy and Fifth Elements are far better than this one. I missed the way Mr. Besson shows me a fast moving acts.
- From other movie review, they say this movie is a big flop in term of profit (US$ 180ish million budget vs US$ 60ish million earnings and counting). I do agree. The biggest investment on FX but not inline with a good story might be the reason why this is kinda flop. Even surprisingly The Emoji Movie could poop money better.
- Regardless the earning, I feel that the casts are good. Even Rihanna look good than she is now. 😜😝
- Oh, if you still want to watch this movie, just go to a good theater with a large screen. Your eyes will be very pleased. 3D is not necessary I guess even though it will be a plus.
And since I’m not a full movie reviewer, I can not give you a score. I just want to say that, if you want to watch this movie, just watch but do not expect something special except best FX.